No matter what your occupation or profession and whether it’s paid or unpaid, there are hardly ever enough hours in the day to achieve everything on your To Do List. A full-time mother has her list of chores yet something always manages to be left unchecked by the end of the day.The situation is much harder as business owner as you are expected to cover a whole host of functions, several of which may not be your expertise.
Here are a few steps we have found that will help improve your productivity and optimise your working day.
Plan – Make a list of what you need to achieve and by when. Weekly, monthly or quarterly KPIs will keep you focused, allow you to monitor your efforts and change course as and when required.
Measure – You can’t improve what you don’t measure. How long are tasks taking you, where can you improve your efficiency, how are your days being broken down?
Maximise your time – Set yourself a 7 day challenge and diarise your activities during this time. As a start-up business, it is advised that you spend approximately 80% of your time on revenue-generating activities and the remaining 20% on general “housekeeping”. (Remember, changing your Facebook status and adding updates does not count.)
Ask for help – Family and friends should be regarded as a valuable support system, and more importantly, a useful resource when the going gets tough. Don’t be afraid to ask and more often than not, you’ll be pleasantly surprised by their response.
Outsource/delegate – Although finance may be limited in the early stages, don’t try and do everything yourself; this is especially applicable when you are clueless about digital marketing, for example. Functions like this could prove a worthy investment to keep your staff happy, and relieve you of the headache of trying to figure it out. That is exactly how we work, we help businesses who want to outsource their marketing.
That’s where we come in. We have been blessed to have so many supporting members who make what we do possible. Remember you don’t have to go at it alone, feel free to drop us a line if you’d like the RE Online Marketing team in your corner.
Rome wasn’t built in a day, and your business empire certainly won’t materialise in 24 hours either! So remember to take some time out and enjoy the hard earned fruits of your labour.